RECYCLE AN OLD DEVICE. GET A FREE SLICE!
Each April, in honour of Earth Month, Pizza Pizza holds its Slices for Devices campaign across Canada at 400 traditional locations across Ontario, Quebec, Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Nova Scotia. Customers are invited to visit their local Pizza Pizza restaurant to trade in unwanted electronic devices for a free slice of pepperoni or cheese pizza. Offer is valid until April 30, 2015. Limit 4 devices per customer.
Now in its 12th year, the Pizza Pizza team has helped divert over 14,000 electronic devices from landfills.
The following small devices are accepted at Pizza Pizza locations:
o Mobile and smart phones
o Digital cameras
o iPods and MP3 players
o Hand held gaming consoles (ie. Nintendo 2DS/ 3DS, Sony PlayStation Vita)
This year, we’ve extended our program to include companies and organizations in Ontario looking to do some spring cleaning and get rid of any larger electronic devices in exchange for Club 11-11 gift cards towards their next pizza party. For more information or to get your company involved this month, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
For companies, large devices include:
o LCD displays (Computer/ TVs)
o CPU Towers
o Desktop computers
All devices collected will be safely recycled by GreenTec, with proceeds from the device refurbishment donated to Children´s Miracle Network.
Some 400 traditional Pizza Pizza locations across Ontario, Quebec, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, and Halifax are participating in the initiative. To find a participating location near you click here.
KEEPING E-WASTE OUT OF LANDFILLS
Between 80% and 85% of electronic products are discarded the wrong way, in landfills or incinerators, which can release certain toxins into the air.
Did you know that?
- In 2012, the average Canadian generated about 24 kilograms of e-waste – that´s more than 860,000 tonnes for the entire country
- E-waste may only represent 2% of the trash in landfills, but it equals 70% of overall toxic waste
WHAT’S PIZZA PIZZA DOING TO BE GREEN?
At the core of our social commitment is an eco-friendly program that looks at ways to make our business and industry sustainable. We work with suppliers, franchise partners and community groups to develop practices that eliminate waste, encourage recycling and protect the environment. Our commitment to the environment is seen in everything we do… even our work atmosphere!
- Pizza Pizza’s headquarters in Etobicoke are environmentally sound, featuring turbines, solar panels, solar heating and storage cell batteries which, combined, provide a 10 to 15 per cent reduction in overall electrical load.
- 87,000 trees are saved each year through the use of recycled materials in our pizza boxes and kraft coloured napkins
- Our commissary uses re-useable totes to distribute food and supplies to franchises, reducing the company´s dependency on cardboard and disposable packaging. The program saves more than 10 million feet of cardboard annually and saves 1.3 million sauce cans annually
- All warehouse lighting at Pizza Pizza has been changed from the 400W metal bulbs to energy efficient 100W T5 high output bulbs. This reduces the overall energy use by 75% while increasing the luminous output by 30%
- Our warehouse also includes a passive solar wall, which is a series of black panels with air gaps to help heat the space via circulating air
- We sponsor a variety of other local initiatives, for example, Clean Toronto Together, making GLAD® garbage bags available to anyone wishing to participate in the cause at its participating locations across the city
- In 2008, we introduced the use of eco-friendly cleaning products at our locations.
For more information or to contact us: