RECYCLE AN OLD DEVICE. GET A FREE SLICE!
Each April, in honour of Earth Month, Pizza Pizza holds its Slices for Devices campaign. First launched in 2004, we´ve now collected over 8,000 devices like smart phones, cell phones, cameras and other small electronics (see acceptable devices below). That means we´re given out more than 8,000 free slices! What´s even better, proceeds from the refurbished phones go on to support a worthy charity. This year, funds will be donated by Pizza Pizza to Children’s Miracle Network.
Visit your local Pizza Pizza location during Earth Month to trade in your unwanted small electronic devices and get a free slice of pepperoni or cheese pizza. Walk-in only. Some restrictions apply. Offer valid until April 30, 2014. Limit 4 devices per customer.
The list of acceptable devices now includes: mobile and smart phones, digital cameras, tablets, iPods and MP3 players, web cams, ink cartridges, power adapters (any power/ extension cords, cables, power suppliers and chargers). For a list of common items that are NOT being accepted click here.
Some 400 traditional Pizza Pizza locations across Ontario, Quebec, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, and Halifax are participating in the initiative. To find a participating location near you click here.
All devices collected will be safely recycled by GreenTec, with proceeds from the refurbishment donated to Children’s Miracle Network.
KEEPING E-WASTE OUT OF LANDFILLS
Between 80% and 85% of electronic products are discarded the wrong way, in landfills or incinerators, which can release certain toxins into the air.
Did you know that?
- In 2012, the average Canadian generated about 24 kilograms of e-waste – that´s more than 860,000 tonnes for the entire country
- E-waste may only represent 2% of the trash in landfills, but it equals 70% of overall toxic waste
WHAT’S PIZZA PIZZA DOING TO BE GREEN?
At the core of our social commitment is an eco-friendly program that looks at ways to make our business and industry sustainable. We work with suppliers, franchise partners and community groups to develop practices that eliminate waste, encourage recycling and protect the environment. Our commitment to the environment is seen in everything we do… even our work atmosphere!
- Pizza Pizza’s headquarters in Etobicoke are environmentally sound, featuring turbines, solar panels, solar heating and storage cell batteries which, combined, provide a 10 to 15 per cent reduction in overall electrical load.
- 87,000 trees are saved each year through the use of recycled materials in our pizza boxes and kraft coloured napkins
- Our commissary uses re-useable totes to distribute food and supplies to franchises, reducing the company´s dependency on cardboard and disposable packaging. The program saves more than 10 million feet of cardboard annually and saves 1.3 million sauce cans annually
- All warehouse lighting at Pizza Pizza has been changed from the 400W metal bulbs to energy efficient 100W T5 high output bulbs. This reduces the overall energy use by 75% while increasing the luminous output by 30%
- Our warehouse also includes a passive solar wall, which is a series of black panels with air gaps to help heat the space via circulating air
- We sponsor a variety of other local initiatives, for example, Clean Toronto Together, making GLAD® garbage bags available to anyone wishing to participate in the cause at its participating locations across the city
- In 2008, we introduced the use of eco-friendly cleaning products at our locations.
For more information or to contact us: